This will be my fifty-first post on this site. It’s been a fun fifty-one days of this experiment.
When I set out on this adventure I was hoping to accomplish several things, a couple in particular: to learn more about myself and get the ideas that rattle around in my head out into words. I’ve done a lot of both of those things, and am looking forward to doing more. And I just rolled out a new design for the site (similar, but different) that will hopefully make browsing more enjoyable.
Here are a few more things I’ve appreciated about the Thought / Day thing these past couple months:
- I’m less terrified of podcasting now, am proud to have officially roped my buddy Ian in for The Hawthorne Effect, our podcast that will be a forever work in progress but I’m excited to be a part of.
- I’ve learned a lot of things from myself, which is weird and kinda cool
- I’ve learned a lot of things from people who have been reading along, which is super cool.
- I’ve started two new books that will (likely) both be coming out in 2014, and my plan is to publish them the same way I published A Guide to Gender (pay-what-you-want option).
- I’m excited to be stepping into the video world soon, having just built a DIY light kit.
- I’ve said a lot of things that have been in my head for a long time but I’ve been afraid to say out loud.
- I’ve challenged myself in other fun ways (more on that below)
I’ve occasionally challenged myself to make changes to my life or look at things differently, and encouraged anyone reading to challenge themselves as well. This has been one of my favorite parts of the project, and something I’m definitely going to keep up. But what good is a challenge if there’s no follow up? Here are some short updates and reactions to the four challenges so far:
Asking for Help. In addition to the direct call for help in this post, I’ve started drawing up some plans for 2014 that are going to be much bigger scale requests for help. It’s been tough, but just writing that post made things much easier. More updates to come on this forever-challenge.
Go See a Movie By Yourself. A lot of people have written in that they’ve taken me up on this challenge, and the responses have all been awesomely positive. I’m full on team “see a movie by myself” and it seems that a lot of other folks are, too. Fun!
My Gratitude Challenge. This one started out well (for the 7 days), and I was writing a lot of emails to people I would have never emailed otherwise, but it’s tapered off since. I never got any responses from the people to whom I was showing gratitude, which I think would have helped catalyze it to become a habit. But in lieu of writing strangers I’ve been more intentional about showing my gratitude to the people in my life.
I Will Tell No Lies. Oooo weeee, this one was a doozy. It’s amazing how easy it is for me to casually lie (white lie) about things that don’t matter. I have told lies since that lie-free week, so I’m failing, but I’m not able to do it without noticing any more (white [lie] guilt), so I’m slowly curbing the habit. Give me another month or two.